I woke up humming this infernal song. And it would not leave me alone no matter what other things I listened to or did trying to get it out of my head. So. I decided that I needed to create a special DIY Summer Lovin’ Line.
And to begin our Summer Lovin’, I’m starting at the feet. I’ve always wanted to make a foot spray. I remember the one time as a young teenager I was able to afford The Body Shop’s Peppermint Foot Spray. It was the coolest thing ever! I loved how my tender tootsies tingled like there was no tomorrow. And since I’m basically stuck in the house as it is way too hot outside for any sane and rational human being that doesn’t need to be outside, I spent the day reading yesterday so that means I need to do something productive today!
So this recipe. How does it work?
Quite simple really. We are going to take some minty goodness, mix it with some yummy humectants, add in a wee bit of oils, an emulsifier, preservative and liquids toss them into a spray bottle, shake. Then spray down your tired and overworked tender tootsies! It’s like your own personal foot spa in a bottle!
This recipe won’t soften your heels, or help with deadish skin buildup, but it will provide that cooling sensation we all know and love and some very minor hydration! I love how one product can be a multipurpose product! And with the added humectants, you’ll find that your skin will be left cool and hydrated!
I’ve added in an emulsifier as we’ve included some oils in this recipe. The emulsifier helps to keep the peppermint essential oil evenly dispersed in the liquids and without it, you’d be squirting blobs of oils out of your mister. And that is just gross. And massive potential staining going on if you choose to spray your clothes or linens. So, emulse away!
- weigh out your water, aloe, silk and vegetable glycerine into a heat proof glass container and set it into your double boiler on a barely there simmer for about 10-20 minutes
- take a shot glass and weigh out your peppermint essential oil and your polysorbate 20 and gently stir, then set aside
- take your 100mL spray bottle and weigh out your witch hazel, peppermint hydrosol, and preservative. Cap and shake shake shake.
- wait till your water+aloe+silk+vegetable glycerine has cooled to room temperature
- decant your peppermint essential oil and polysorbate into the spray bottle
- use your cooled down liquid solution to get all the remaining essential oil and polysorbate from the shot glass into the spray bottle before adding the remaining liquids to the spray bottle.
- cap and shake
- sit down and spray your tender tootsies and calves, put your feet up and relax